- To strengthen your thighs, hip flexors, hamstrings and gluteal muscles
Equipment Required: a short step and stable even ground (for safety reasons, make sure that the platform you are using is secure).
- Start by standing with your feet a little less than shoulder-width apart, about a foot in front of a step which is approximately 12-18 inches high. Allow your arms to hang comfortably down by your sides.
- Keep your back straight and step up with your left leg.
- With a steady and controlled motion slowly pull yourself up onto the bench using only your left leg.
- Step down off the step with your right foot first and then the left foot and return to the starting position.
- Repeat this action, alternating the leading leg each time.
- Do approximately 20 to 30 total repetitions.
Key points to remember
- Keep your body as straight as possible to minimize stress on the lower back and legs.
- If you find this exercise too easy, or the step height is low, you may use hand weights to increase the intensity.
- You can also modify the intensity by increasing your pace and changing the step height.
- Other pregnancy exercises
- General description of the step-up exercise
- Step up exercise at the beach or at home
- Step up fitness tests
- women and fitness
- About post-pregnancy exercise