Equipment Required: a support such as an elevated rock, bench or fence.
- Place your hands flat on the rock approximately shoulder width apart, with your feet in the sand.
- Keep you torso and legs in a straight line
- Bend your arms and lower your chest close to the rock without touching it
- Straighten your arms and return to the starting position.
- Repeat this action 5-20 times.
Key points to remember
- Warm up before any exercise program. At the beach, a run and some stretches is a good way to start.
- Breathe out as you move towards the rock, and breathe in as you push back up.
- If it is sunny, don't forget to cover yourself up with a hat or some sunscreen. If it is hot, be sure to drink lots of water to stay well hydrated.
- To modify the difficulty, use a different height rock, bench, chair or step.
- If this is just too easy, try reversing your position so that your feet are in the elevated position.
- See also the descriptions for the standard beach push-up and the wall press
- See the gym Bench Press Exercise
- Similar beach exercises: push-up, wall press
- More fitness at the beach
- A Simple Push-Up Test that can be done at home
- World Records for Push Ups