The UEFA Champions League (usually referred to as just the Champions League) is an annual football cup competition organized by Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) for the top football clubs in Europe. The competition is played between the European national league champions. See also the, another annual competition for European football clubs.
The winner of the UEFA Champions League earns the right to play against the winner of the UEFA Europa League in the UEFA Super Cup. The Champions League winner also automatically qualifies for the following year's UEFA Champions League group stage.
This competition was first held for the 1955-56 season, and up until 1992 the tournament was called the European Cup or European Champions' Cup (officially the European Champion Clubs' Cup, or Coupe des Clubs Champions Européens in French).
Originally, the competition involved only the winning team in each national league, but since the the 1997–98 season multiple entrants from certain countries was allowed. The strongest leagues now provide up to four teams.
Real Madrid hold the record for the most victories, having won the competition 14 times, including the inaugural competition in 1956 (actually including the first five seasons), and their latest in 2022. (see the List of Champions League Winners)
The 2013-14 final was the first in the tournament's history to feature teams from the same city. The same two clubs faced each other again in the 2016 final. In 2000, two Spanish teams battled in the final, though they were from different cities.
- 2022 - Real Madrid defeated Liverpool 1–0 in the final, played at the Stade de France in Saint-Denis, France. It was Real Madrid's record 14th title.
- 2023 - Played on 10 June 2023 at the Atatürk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul, Turkey. English team Manchester City defeated Italian club Inter Milan 1–0.
- 2024 - the final to be played at Wembley Stadium, London on May 31.
- List of Champions League Winners
- More Major Football Events
- List of UEFA Champions League Winners
- Other major world sporting events
- About the Sport of Football (Soccer)