The food supplied in the athlete's village at the Commonwealth Games needs to cater to a diversity of sports, cultures, ages and special dietary needs. Here is some information about the village and food menu for the Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast in 2018. See more about Commonwealth Games nutrition.
About the Village and Food Hall
At the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games there were 6,600 athletes and team officials, representing 71 nations. At the main athlete village, there was an International Zone which included the main dining hall, providing a self service buffet-style dining experience. The Dining hall served over 18,000 meals per day to the athletes during the Games. The food on offer was designed to meet a variety of requirements, including dietary, nutritional, recovery, cultural, religious and medical.
The food on offer focused on local produce and also highlighted some Australian indigenous ingredients.
Reference: THE FOOD EXPERIENCE: Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Food Experience
- See more about Commonwealth Games nutrition.
- Olympic Village nutrition, includes links to info about the menu at Olympic Games events.
- Nutrition at the Olympics — athlete diets throughout the ages.
- Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast in 2018
- About the Commonwealth Games
- Food Safety Information
- Nutrition for Athletes at Major Events
- About sport in Australia