Bicep Curl Technique
Equipment: barbell, free weights, EZ Curl Bar, dumbbells
the bicep curl exercise
- Start in a standing position with your feet
shoulder width apart and your knees relaxed.
- Grasp a barbell (or use dumbbells) with your hands also shoulder
- Your grip should be underhand (palms facing
- Stand upright and let the bar hang in front
of your thighs.
- Bend at your elbows to curl the bar to shoulder
- Pause momentarily at this top position.
- Slowly lower the bar back to the starting
Key points to remember
- Ensure your elbows remain stationary and
to the sides of your body during the entire exercise.
- The bar should be moved with a smooth action with no jerky movements.
- The exercise can be performed with either a single barbell or
two dumbbells (see dumbbell bicep curl). If using single dumbbells, you can perform the exercise
with alternate arm action. (see dumbbell bicep curl)
- An alternative to using a barbell to bdo a bicep curl is the EZ Curl Bar, which has angled grips that make it more comfortable to grip and allow for a wider range of motion.
- Some gyms may have pull systems that can perform the same action
as this exercise.