A Barbell is a long, straight metal bar used in weightlifting and strength training exercises. The barbell is a versatile piece of equipment that can be used for a variety of exercises, including squats, deadlifts, bench presses, and bicep curls. It usually weighs between 15 and 45 pounds and can be loaded with weights on both ends.
How to use a Barbell
To use a barbell, load it with weight plates of the desired amount and then grip the bar with both hands. Lift the bar from the rack or the ground and position it across your shoulders or in front of your body, depending on the exercise you plan to perform. Perform the exercise with proper form and then return the bar to its starting position.
Exercises Performed using a Barbell
Some common exercises that can be performed with a barbell include:
- Squats - Squats are performed with the barbell resting on the shoulders behind the neck. This exercise works the muscles in the legs, glutes, and core.
- Deadlifts - Deadlifts are performed with the barbell on the ground in front of you. This exercise works the muscles in the back, legs, and core.
- Bench press - The bench press is performed lying on a bench with the barbell held above the chest. This exercise works the muscles in the chest, shoulders, and triceps.
- Rows - Rows are performed with the barbell on the ground and are lifted towards the chest. This exercise works the muscles in the back and biceps.
The primary muscles used during barbell exercises depend on the specific exercise being performed. However, barbell exercises typically work the muscles in the legs, back, chest, and arms.
We do not sell this product from this website, though we sometimes provide links to sites where you can buy them.
- EZ Curl Bar — similar to a straight barbell, but has angled grips that make it more comfortable to grip and allow for a wider range of motion.
- Trap (Hex) Bar — a specialized weightlifting barbell that has a hexagonal shape which allows for more versatility in lifting movements.
- Strength Training Equipment — list and guides
- Weight Plates, for putting at either end of the barbell
- Weightlifting Belt — benefits of using a weightlifting belt, how to wear it, common mistakes to avoid, and tips for proper use.
- Weight Training Exercises
- More fitness training products