Seven Wonders of the Sporting World (Events, Female)
Our Top-7 Wonders of the Sporting World - Sporting Events List — was noticeable in the lack of female representation. A couple of the events on the list have competitions for both males and females, such as the Olympics and the Wimbledon Championship, though in this male (for now) dominated sporting world, the biggest events were predominantly in male sports, such as the FIFA World Cup, Tour de France and the Super Bowl.
However, the world is changing and women's sport is increasing in popularity around the world. The is more opportunity for women to play sport nowadays, women's sport is getting greater funding, and females are closing the pay gap with their male counterparts. Spectators are going to watch female sport in greater numbers too. At the 2020 Twenty20 World Cup final, 86,174 fans turning up to watch Australia beat India. This just failed to surpass the 90,815 attendance at the 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup final at California's Rose Bowl.
Our List of the 7 Wonders of the Sporting World (Female Events)
Here are our choices for the top female sporting events around the world. There may be some bias by including the sport of netball and cricket as they are popular where I live, though they are undoubtedly major events in women's sports. Do you agree with my selections? Let me know in the comments below.
- Women's FIFA World Cup — the female counterpart to the FIFA World Cup, the FIFA Women's World Cup, has been held every four years since 1991. It is the most important competition in international football for women.
- Gymnastics at the Olympic Games — Women's artistic gymnastics events have been on the Olympic Games program since 1928, and has always been a much anticipated feature event.
- Women's Singles Final at Wimbledon — The Wimbledon tennis championship is one of the four tennis tournaments that make up the grand slam, and historically the most prestigious largely because of its setting and surrounding pomp.
- Rugby World Cup — Women's Rugby is a very popular sport in many of the rugby playing countries around the world. The first Women's Rugby World Cup was held in 1991, and it has been held every four years since.
- Netball World Cup — The Netball World Cup, previously known as the Netball World Championships, has been held every four years since 1963. The tournament has been dominated by the Australian and New Zealand teams, and garners a lot of media attention.
- WNBA finals — The WNBA Finals are the championship series of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA), comprising the best of five games.
- Women's T20 World Cup final — The International Cricket Council (ICC) Women's T20 World Cup is the international championship of Twenty20 cricket for national women's teams, held every two years. The last tournament held in Australia a drew record crowds.
- Wonders of the Sporting World (Female Athletes)
- The Wonders of the Sporting World (All Events)
- Wonders of the Sporting World (Venues)
- Wonders of the Sporting World (Athletes)
- More 7 Wonders Lists
- A discussion about the top must see sporting events
- Full list of Robert Tuchman's must see live sporting events
- World Events Calendar
- Book: The 100 Sporting Events You Must See Live