Adventure Sports have been best defined as 'Outdoor Sports or Activities in which the participant competes in a natural environment, more against themselves than against others'. Although the term is sometimes used interchangeably, Extreme Sports can be considered a sub-category of Adventure Sports, as well as the terms 'Action Sport' and 'Adventurous Sport' are also used.
- Yukon Arctic Ultra [Mar '19]
- UltraTrail du Mont Blanc [Mar '19]
- Antarctic Ice Marathon [Nov '17]
- Volcano Marathon [Nov '17]
- Australian Outback Marathon [Nov '13]
- Fitness Components for Ultra-Marathons [Feb '13]
- Patagonian International Marathon [Mar '12]
- RacingThePlanet events [Nov '10]
- adventure and extreme sports quotes [Oct '10]
- What factors does it take to be a successful ultra-marathoner? [Aug '10]
An Extreme Sport is any sport featuring speed, height, danger, a high level of physical exertion, highly specialized gear, or spectacular stunts. Another characteristic of extreme sports is that they tend to be individual rather than team sports. Extreme sports can include both competitive and non-competitive activities.
Some of the sports listed here as adventure sports would probably not be considered as 'true' extreme sports. True extreme sports are more likely defined as a leisure or recreation activity where the most likely outcome of a mismanaged accident or mistake was death. Extreme sports are often associated with young adults wishing to push themselves to the limits of their physical ability and fear, in turn pushing the boundaries of a particular sport.
List of Sports
The following is a large list of sports that some people consider to be classified as Adventure or Extreme Sports. You may or may not agree with what is here, or you may want to suggest one that is not.
More about Adventure Sports
- Endurance Events — details about some marathon and ultra-endurance adventure races held around the world, and some stories from participants too.
- Nutrition for Extreme Endurance Events — nutritional strategies and advice for endurance racing.
- BASE jumping — The acronym BASE stands for building, antennae, span, and earth - some of the things BASE jumpers launch themselves from. BASE jumping is considered very dangerous and is often done without permission. This article is a description of the sport.
- Adventure Racing Videos
List of more Adventure or Extreme Sports
This list of adventure and extreme sports is not complete, every day people are coming up with more ways to get some thrills and spills.
- Trivia: the Mt Everest Marathon — held in Nepal - is the highest marathon race in the world.
- Quotes: Adventure and extreme sports quotes
- Many extreme Sports are part of the Winter Olympics
- Some of the above sports have their own section: Surfing, Canoeing and Kayaking, Sailing and Windsurfing, Motorsports, Cycling
- See also Orienteering and the related endurance team sport of Rogaining — the thinking person's sports, requiring both navigation skills and endurance.
- Discussion about the greatest action sports athlete of all time.
- Adventure Sport Polls
- List of all sports