Nutrition for Endurance Events
Nutrition is vitally important for success in long distance running. The specific nutritional strategies that you use will depend on the event. There are many nutritional considerations for marathon and ultra-marathon running, including the following:
- Carbohydrate loading - loading up the body's carbohydrate stores
- Hydration, sweat loss and salt intake - keeping the body well hydrated
- Timing of food and fluid intake - what you should eat before, during and after exercise
- Carbohydrate intake during the event - getting the right fuel when it is needed most.
- Recovery Strategies - replacing fuels and preparing for the next training session
Endurance Nutrition Articles
- For a comprehensive review of the requirements for a specific ultra endurance event, see the nutrition notes for Marathon Des Sable race.
- Nutrition for Marathon Running — fluid, electrolyte and carbohydrate considerations.
- Nutrition & the Olympic Marathon - the history of food and fluid stategies for Olynmpic marathon runners and how it compres to today's recommedndations.
- Marathons and ultra marathons
- Carbohydrate loading for athletes.
- Fluid and Fuel Considerations for a Fun Run
- Fitness components for marathon runners
- All about Sports Nutrition