Nutrition is vitally important for success in long-distance running. The specific nutritional strategies that you use will depend on the event. There are many nutritional considerations for marathon and ultra-marathon running, including the following:
- Carbohydrate loading — loading up the body's carbohydrate stores
- Hydration, sweat loss and salt intake - keeping the body well hydrated
- Timing of food and fluid intake — what you should eat before, during and after exercise
- Carbohydrate intake during the event - getting the right fuel when it is needed most.
- Recovery Strategies — replacing fuels and preparing for the next training session
Endurance Nutrition Articles
- For a comprehensive review of the requirements for a specific ultra endurance event, see the nutrition notes for Marathon Des Sable race.
- Nutrition for Marathon Running — fluid, electrolyte and carbohydrate considerations.
- Nutrition & the Olympic Marathon — the history of food and fluid stategies for Olynmpic marathon runners and how it compres to today's recommedndations.
- Marathons and ultra marathons
- Carbohydrate loading for athletes.
- Fluid and Fuel Considerations for a Fun Run
- Fitness components for marathon runners
- All about Sports Nutrition