Equipment Required: a pair of dumbbells and a flat bench.
- Lie on a flat bench with feet on the floor and a dumbbell in each hand.
- With the palms facing either forward or to each other (as in the image), push the dumbbells so that they are directly above the shoulders.
- Lower the dumbbells towards the sides of the chest, so that they are at the level of the shoulders.
- Press the weights back up to the starting position.
Key points to remember
- When holding the dumbbells with arms extended, avoid locking the elbows.
- Keep the abdominals tight and the lower back in a neutral position.
- You can perform the exercise with alternate arm action.
- See the similar Incline Dumbbell Press
- A similar exercise to the dumbbell press is the bench press
- The full list of Dumbbell Exercises
- See the gym Bench Press Exercise
- The Dumbbell Press fitness test
- Free weights for sale in the fitness store.