Sports of the Olympic Games
At the first Olympic Games in 1896, there were nine sports contested. Since that time many sports have been added (and removed too) from the program. Only five sports have been contested at every summer Olympic Games since 1896: Athletics, Cycling, Fencing, Gymnastics and Swimming. In 2012 there was 26 sports contested, and in 2016 there will be 28 (see list). There are pages about the number of sports at each Olympiad, and also the changes over time.
After the 2008 Olympics the sports of Baseball and Softball were dropped from the program. In August 2009 the International Olympic Committee (IOC) voted on which two sports will be added to the program for Rio 2016. There was a list of seven sports that they chose from: golf, rugby union, roller sports, karate, softball, baseball and squash. They selected golf and rugby union.
There are many other possible new sports for future Games. In February 2013, wrestling was dropped from the core sports list, and joined with baseball and softball (joint bid), climbing, karate, roller sport, squash, wakeboard and wushu to attempt to gain a place on the program for 2020. In May 2013 the IOC cut Karate, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu from this list, leaving Baseball-softball, squash and wrestling to be shortlisted. Then in September 2013, they voted to return wrestling to the list of sports for the 2020 Olympic program. In 2015, further voting was held for the inclusion of more sports.
2016 Summer Olympic Sports
(follow the links for more info about each sport)
- beach volleyball
- canoe / kayak
- cycling (track, road, mountain, BMX)
- equestrian (dressage, jumping and eventing)
- field hockey
- modern pentathlon
- rugby 7s
- soccer / football
- synchronized swimming
- table tennis
- track and field
- volleyball (indoor)
- water polo
Recently Added Sports
Recently Removed Sports
Possible New Sports
Previous Olympic Sports
(these are just some of the sports that have once been part of the Olympic program. More can be found on Discontinued Olympic Sports)
- motor boating
- plunge for distance
- underwater swimming
- obstacle race for swimming
- jeu de paume
- Equestrian events: Chariot racing, Riding
- Pentathlon: Discus, Javelin, Jump, Running, Wrestling
- future Olympic Games sports
- list of sports for each Olympiad
- Olympic Sports involving animals
- about the number of sports at each Olympiad, and also the changes over time.
- what the the most popular Olympic sports?
- How sports are selected for the Olympics
- POLL: Which of these sports should be next included in the Games? plus other Olympic Games Polls