Olympic Games Demonstration Sports
It is fascinating the large number and variety of sports that have at one time been part of the Olympic Games, either as official or unofficial demonstration sports.
There are some interesting sports that were included as demonstration sports at the Olympic Games, some eventually becoming part of the official program, others disappearing as maybe they should. See the complete list of demo sports. There have also been demonstration sports at the Winter Olympics.
Up until recently, most Olympic Games have had a variety of demonstration sports held as part of the Games, held at the same time as official sports but not eligible for medals. Some of the demonstration sports have later gone on to become official parts of of the sporting program, such as Baseball.
Demonstration sports were not "officially" introduced until 1912, though before then some sports competitions were held simultaneously to the games, and today are considered "unofficial" or demonstration sports as well.
Originally, demonstration sports and events were included to showcase sports or events which were unique to the country hosting the Games, but recently they were often used as a stepping stone in the application for consideration as a future Olympic medal sport. In 1989, the IOC voted to disallow unofficial demonstration events at Olympics, starting with the 1996 Games.
These days, specific rules that must be followed in order for a sport to be accepted as part of the official program. That means unfortunately for some, fortunately for others, many of the sports described on this website will never be seen again.
- List of Demonstration Sports (sorted by alphabetical order)
- List of Demonstration Sports (sorted by year)
- demonstration sports at the Winter Olympics
- list of discontinued sports
- If you are searching for more information, see the Resources section or try these Books on Olympic History.
- For information about sports currently on the Olympic program, see the Olympic Games Summer Sports and Winter Sports pages.
- Try our Discontinued Olympic Events Quiz as part of the Olympic Games Quiz Questions.
- Read about other major World Sporting Events.
- Read the Olympics entries on the sporting blog.
- Olympic symbols and images in the clipart section.
- Videos of Olympic Games Discontinued Sports and Demonstration Sports.
- Unusual Sports and New Sports
- Olympic Games fun