Taekwondo at the Olympics
Taekwondo is one of the two Asian martial arts included on the Olympic program, the other is Judo. Taekwondo was a demonstration sport at the 1988 and 1992 Olympic Games. Taekwondo was first competed as an official Olympic sport at the 2000 Games, and has been on the sporting program ever since.
The Olympic competition is a single elimination tournament, for each of the four weight categories (for men and women).
- Flyweight men <58kg, women <49kg
- Featherweight men 58–68kg, women 49–57kg
- Middleweight men 68–80kg, women 57–67kg
- Heavyweight men >80kg, women >67kg
- Three athletes tie for the most successful all-time performing Taekwondo athletes at the Olympic Games: Hwang Kyung-Seon (South Korea), Steven López (USA) and Hadi Saei (Iran), each with 2 golds and one bronze medal. See more about the Greatest Olympic Taekwondo Athletes.