The 40-Yard Shuttle Run is a test of agility, in which the participant runs back and forth between two parallel lines 30 feet apart as fast as possible, for a total of 120 ft (40 yards).
purpose: this is a test of speed and agility.
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Perform screening of health risks and obtain informed consent. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender, test conditions. Measure and mark out the test area. Perform an appropriate warm-up. See more details of pre-test procedures.
procedure: This test requires the person to run back and forth between two parallel lines as fast as possible. Set up two lines 30 feet apart. Starting at one line, on the signal "Ready? Go!" the participant runs to the opposite line, the foot and hand simultaneously touching the ground on or beyond the line, then back to the start/finish line to touch the ground again, turning to sprint back to the line 30 feet away and touching the ground, then sprinting back across the start/finish line to complete the test. A total of 120 ft (40 yards) is covered. Perform two trials with one minute rest between each.
scoring: The best time from two trails is recorded. Results are recorded to the nearest tenth of a second.
advantages: this test can be conducted on large groups relatively quickly with minimal equipment required.
The Test in Action
- This test is part of the Candidate Fitness Assessment (CFA) of the United States Naval Academy, United States Air Force Academy, and United States Military Academy.
- 30-feet shuttle run test that is part of the President's Challenge Fitness Awards — run 30ft (9.14m) x 4, moving blocks from one end to the other.
- 10 meter Agility Shuttle (4x10m) — run 10m x 4, moving blocks from one end to the other.
- The 10 x 5m Shuttle Test is a measure of speed and agility, and is part of the Eurofit Testing Battery.
- 20 Yard Shuttle (NFL, SPARQ) — running 5 yards, back 10 yards, and back again 5 yards, touching the lines with a hand.
- Other shuttle runs: 20 yd agility, 60 yards, 300 yards
- Agility Shuttle Tests
- About the Candidate Fitness Assessment (CFA)
- About testing for agility
- Agility and anaerobic tests