This test measures agility and speed while running between two lines 10m apart to pick up small blocks. There is a similar 30 feet (9.14m) shuttle run test that is part of the President's Challenge Fitness Awards. The 40 Yard Shuttle is run over the similar distance, but there is no requirement to pick up blocks.
purpose: this is a test of speed, body control and the ability to change direction (agility).
equipment required: two wooden blocks for each runner (each block should measure 10 x 5 x 5 cm), marker cones or marking tape, measurement tape, stopwatch, flat non-slip surface, with two lines 10 meters apart.
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Perform screening of health risks and obtain informed consent. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender, test conditions. Measure and mark out the course. Ensure that the participants are adequately warmed-up. See more details of pre-test procedures.
procedure: Mark two lines 10 meters apart using marking tape or cones. The two blocks are placed on the line opposite the line they are going to start at. On the signal "ready", the participant places their front foot behind the starting line. On the signal, "go!" the participant sprints to the opposite line, picks up a block of wood, runs back and places it on or beyond the starting line. Then turning without a rest, they run back to retrieve the second block and carry it back across the finish line. A total of 40m is covered. Two trials are performed. See video.
scoring: Record the time to complete the test in seconds to the nearest one decimal place. The score is the better of the two times recorded. A trial is void if a block is dropped or thrown.
target population: this is a good test for children as a measure of general athleticism. Sports in which agility is important include tennis, soccer and basketball. This test is used in the International Physical Fitness Test, Singapore's National Physical Fitness Award and the ALPHA-Fit european fitness testing battery.
advantages: this test can be conducted on large groups relatively quickly with minimal equipment required.
comments: the blocks should be placed at the line, not thrown across them. Also make sure the participants run through the finish line to maximize their score. In addition to running speed, turning technique and coordination are also significant factors in this test.
The Test in Action
- There is a similar 30 feet (9.14m) shuttle run test that is part of the President's Challenge Fitness Awards.
- 30-feet shuttle run test that is part of the President's Challenge Fitness Awards — run 30ft (9.14m) x 4, moving blocks from one end to the other.
- 40 Yard Shuttle Run — run 30ft (9.14m) x 4, foot and hand simultaneously touching the floor on or beyond the turn-around line.
- The Army version of the 60 yard shuttle requires the participants to also pick up blocks of wood.
- The 10 x 5m Shuttle Test is a measure of speed and agility, and is part of the Eurofit Testing Battery.
- Other shuttle runs: 20 yd agility, 20 yards, 60 yards, 300 yards
- Watch a video of this test being performed.
- About the International Physical Fitness Test, the Singapore's National Physical Fitness Award Scheme, and the ALPHA-Fit european fitness testing battery.
- Other agility tests