The 30 foot (9.15m) Agility Shuttle Run is a test of agility, in which the participant runs back and forth between two parallel lines as fast as possible, picking up blocks of wood, for a total of 120 ft. There is a similar metric version of this test, the 4x10m agility run. The 40 Yard Shuttle is run over the same distance, but there is no requirement to pick up blocks.
purpose: this is a test of speed and agility, which is important in many sports.
equipment required: wooden blocks, marker cones, measurement tape, stopwatch, non-slip surface.
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Perform screening of health risks and obtain informed consent. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender, test conditions. Measure and mark out the test area. Perform an appropriate warm-up. See more details of pre-test procedures.
procedure: This test requires the person to run back and forth between two parallel lines as fast as possible. Set up two lines of cones 30 feet apart or use line markings, and place two blocks of wood or a similar object behind one of the lines. Starting at the line opposite the blocks, on the signal "Ready? Go!" the participant runs to the other line, picks up a block and returns to place it behind the starting line, then returns to pick up the second block, then runs with it back across the line. See Shuttle Agility Test video.
scoring: Two or more trails may be performed, and the quickest time is recorded. Results are recorded to the nearest tenth of a second.
variations / modifications: The test procedure can be varied by changing the number of shuttles performed, the distance between turns (see the similar 10 meter shuttle) and by removing the need for the person pick up and return objects from the turning points.
advantages: this test can be conducted on large groups relatively quickly with minimal equipment required.
comments: the blocks should be placed at the line, not thrown across them. Also make sure the participants run through the finish line to maximize their score. 30 feet = 9.144 meters
The Test in Action
- This test is used in the President's Challenge Fitness Awards.
- See Shuttle Agility Test video.
- 10 meter Agility Shuttle (4x10m) — run 10m x 4, moving blocks from one end to the other.
- 40 Yard Shuttle Run — run 30ft (9.14m) x 4, the foot and hand simultaneously touching the floor on or beyond the turn-around line.
- The 10 x 5m Shuttle Test is a measure of speed and agility, and is part of the Eurofit Testing Battery.
- 20 Yard Shuttle (NFL, SPARQ) — running 5 yards, back 10 yards, and back again 5 yards, touching the lines with a hand.
- Other shuttle runs: 20 yd agility, 60 yards, 300 yards
- About the President's Challenge Fitness Awards
- Agility and anaerobic tests