World Record Beep Test Most Participants
The beep or bleep test (or more correctly known as the Multistage Shuttle Run Test or MSFT), is a test of endurance fitness that is a common test used by many team sports and school groups, and involves continuous running between two markers 20 meters apart. We have discussed world best performances in the beep test, though in this article we list some of the world record attempts for the most number of participants in a beep test at one time.
Greatest Number of Beep Test Participants at One Venue
The first known attempt of the Guinness World Record for the most number of beep test participants was in 2008 in Ballarat, Australia. Their result of 412 was not officially verified. In 2010 a Canadian school is believed to have set the official World Record benchmark with 324 participants.
If anyone wants to attempt a Guinness World Record, there are certain guidelines to adhere to. You should make sure the event is videotaped, and all participant's performance clearly logged and verified by independent witnesses (check with the Guinness World Records people for more specific instructions).
Record Attempt Timeline (most recent first)
The known confirmed Guinness World Records are in bold.
- 2017 - December 14: 941 participants was achieved by AFC Harrogate (UK) in Harrogate, UK. AFC Harrogate attempted this record as part of their graduation week.
- 2016 - May 15: 805 soldiers from Tidworth and Bulford on Salisbury Plain took part in a world record breaking mass beep test. Organised by ABF The Soldiers Charity the record was smashed and subject to official confirmation.
- 2015 - September 17: a record attempt was made by staff and students of Scotch College in Perth, Western Australia.
- 2015 - June 19, 2015: Military personnel from RAF Honington, located near Ixworth in Suffolk, England, managed to achieve 593 participants to set a new Guinness Record.
- 2014 - September 14: an attempt by 650 runners from schools in Tasmania (Reece High, Hillcrest Primary School, Miandetta Primary School, Spreyton Primary School and East Devonport Primary School) started the test, but only 375 made it to the required level five.
- 2014 - September 8: A record attempt was made at Hobart's Hutchins boys school. Organizers say 612 students and teachers successfully completed the test.
- 2014 - April 29: a record of 575 beep test participants was set by the King George V School in Hong Kong. Out of the 587 participants who started, 575 successfully completed the required number of intervals (confirmed Guinness World Record)
- 2014 - Jan 26, Another record attempt was performed at Sandown Park, Sandy Bay, Tasmania. The run was in honor the memory of Max Ostberg, 23, a Hobart fitness enthusiast who died in August 2013. There were 377 entrants, though the record has yet to be confirmed. The last man standing was 18 year old Mackenzie Reekie.
- 2013 - October 24. The Guinness World Record for the most participants in a bleep test was set at 329, achieved by Marymede Catholic College, in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. (listed on the Guinness website)
- 2013 - Oct: Gladstone Park Secondary College in Victoria, Australia, attempted to break beep test world record in a fund-raiser for quadriplegic Ricky Bannister, with about 400 participants.
- 2011 - Oct 7: Another attempt was held to enter the Guinness Book of Records for the most people to complete a bleep test at Arbroath Academy, Angus UK. The group included Academy staff and pupils, along with students from Angus College and members of the public.
- 2011 - August 4: Students at Smith's Hill High School in Towradgi, NSW got together about 600 students to attempt the record for the most people involved in a simultaneous beep test. The previous record of 324 looks likely to be beaten, though it had not been confirmed. The Year 10 student Nicholas Stacey was the last man standing at level nine. (taken from the Illawarra Mercury online, 5 Aug 2011)
- 2010 - October 27: students of Lower Canada College attempted to set a Guinness World Records™ standard for “The Greatest Number of Beep Test Participants at One Venue.” Articles about the attempt suggested that more than 250 individuals must complete at least 42 shuttles (the start of level 5) for the record to be recognized. In the end 324 students (out of 443 who started) completed the task. (details from the suburban online, Nov 2010, with the details also listed on the Guinness website)
- 2008 - November: the Courier (Ballarat, Victoria Australia) reported that students of the Ballarat & Clarendon College middle school had attempted the world record for the most number of participants in a beep test, with 412 students and staff. The best score was by year 7 student Stuart McSweyn, who lasted to level 13.2. The school believed a world record for a mass beep test had not previously been attempted, and they have submitted a video of the event to the Guinness World Records.
- beep test competitions
- world best performances in the beep test
- Beep Test results for athletes from a range of sports.
- More Fitness Testing Records and other Sporting Records
- More Records? I scan the internet for the latest athlete results. If you know of something I have missed, it would be great to hear from you.
BEEP TEST PACKAGE - only $10
The 20m Beep Test (male & female voices) + Training Levels + 'Beeps Only' track + Excel Spreadsheet + eBook Guide (PARQ, consent form, test recording sheet, warm-up, tips, norms + much more!)
The ultimate beep test package, including two versions of the beep test audio file (male and female voice), an audio track with only the beeps (no voices), 8 audio tracks for training at specific test levels, an Excel spreadsheet with an offline calculator and tables for recording, analyzing and presenting results, a 12-page eBook beep test guide which includes a PARQ, informed consent form, and test recording sheet plus much more. All these files are available individually for $5 each, or even better get them all for $10. Check out the details.