Track & Field Fitness Testing
Here are examples that are used for the eTID program from the Australian Institute of Sport. There are many other tests that can be performed on track and field athletes: see Athletics Fitness Testing page for more ideas and a discussion of these.
These are the tests that are conducted for the athletics eTID program. These links are to our general description of the tests. For specific instructions on how to conduct the test for the program see the AIS eTID website. There are specific tests depending on the athletic discipline that you are interested in.
- Endurance — standing height, body mass, 1.6 km run.
- Sprints — standing height, body mass, vertical jump, 60m sprint.
- Jumps — standing height, body mass, standing long jump, vertical jump (replaces the 60m sprint)
- Throws — standing height, body mass, cricket ball throw, vertical jump.
Source of Tests
The above tests are used for talent identification testing of Track and Field athletes in Australia. The National Talent Identification and Development (NTID) program at the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) have developed an online talent identification tool (eTID). Through the eTID website individuals are able to submit results from fitness tests done at home, and if the results are up to a certain level they will invite you to be tested further and placed into a talent identification program.
- about eTID - online talent identification
- Fitness Testing for Sports
- Complete List of Fitness Tests
- Poll: fitness components for long jump