Athletics is a very popular sport around the world. At the elite level, there are also many important competitions held.
- Athletics World Championships
- Track and Field at the Olympic Games
- Track and Field at the Commonwealth Games
- World Cup - a team-based international athletics competition. The frst event, to be held in 2018, will feature the top eight nations, with each team entering one athlete per event.
- World Indoor Championships - a biennial indoor track and field competition
- Continental Cup (formerly known as the IAAF World Cup) - was an international track and field competition contested by teams representing entire continents (rather than just those of individual countries), held every four years. The event was canceled in 2018.