Home of Australian Football
Australian Football is the national game of Australia. Although Australian Football is the official name, the sport is commonly called Australian Rules Football or Aussie Rules, AFL (after the name of the national league) or just football or footy. Outside of Australia it is mostly played by expat Australians. There are many Australian Football leagues around the world, including some in Europe and North America.
What is it?
AFL is played using an oblong leather ball, which is kicked and handballed. The aim of the game is to score goals (worth six points) and behinds (worth one point) through tall white goal posts at each end of the field. The field is also oblong in shape and varies in size but is no less than 200m long, requiring large amounts of running during the game. The game duration includes 25 minute quarters, plus extra time after each quarter. It is a fast paced game with player interchanges available throughout the game. Different positions in the team will dictate how mobile and agile the athlete will need to be.
- 2021 AFL Combine [Nov '21]
- 2021 AFLW Combine [Aug '21]
- Game Day Nutrition for AFL [Apr '21]
- NAB League Testing Days [Mar '21]
- NAB League [Mar '21]
- 2020 AFLW & AFL Combines [Nov '20]
- AFL Player Anthropometry [Aug '20]
- 2018 and 2019 International Combines [Oct '19]
- 2019 AFL Combine results: men & women [Oct '19]
- 2019 Grand Final Sprint [Sep '19]
In 1996, Aussie Rules reached number one and in doing so pushed out swimming as the sport most Australians attend, participate in, watch, listen or read about. Swimming is Australia's second most popular sport, with cricket, rugby league, football, rugby union, motor car racing, golf and netball rounding out the top 10. (see about Most Popular Sports in Australia)
- SCIENCE: On this site you will find a comprehensive article about nutrition for AFL. There is also a list of the tests conducted at the AFL Draft Camp and info about fitness for AFL.
- HISTORY: Read about the origins of AFL in Australia, and team profiles of each AFL club.
- RESOURCES: Check out these AFL player profiles and team songs. The finals system is explained.
- AFL Lists: AFL Premiers, Brownlow Medal winners, and the grand Final Sprint winners. The losers are here too - see the list of Wooden Spoon winners for coming last in the AFL competition.
- IMAGES: Clipart of AFL players and equipment, AFL Photo Collection.
- INFORMATION: collection of AFL Trivia, quotes and books for sale.
- LEAGUES: There is more than just the elite AFL League, there is also a women's AFLW comp, and the NAB U/19 League.
- The MCG is the home of AFL and cricket in Australia.
- Did you know that AFL was once demonstration sport at the Olympic Games?
- Read the AFL entries on the sporting blog.
- Rate your AFL Heroes
- AFL Polls, including who is/was the greatest ever AFL player?
- Funny AFL stuff