Who is the greatest Australian Football player ever? Agreeing on the greatest ever player of any sport may be impossible, who each person thinks is great is not shared by everyone, particularly when you compare players from different eras who played different styles, under different conditions, and even under different rules. But we keep attempting to do it, as we will here.
Let's find out
To start, a list of all possible greatest ever Australian football players is required, so that we can narrow this list down through voting so that one is named the greatest ever - the GOAT. The ultimate aim is to compare this GOAT to the greatest ever from other sports to find the "greatest greatest" ever (all sports)!. The first stage is to finalize the nominations for great Aussie rules players before the vote is started.
A bit of banter - maybe it's Abblett?
Something similar was recently done on the Facebook page AFL Banter, though only quite recent players were on the initial list. Then a knockout voting system was held with page visitors casting their vote on individual match-ups. The voting only included relatively recent players, by fans who have mostly watched players of the current generation. It was won by Gary Ablett, but which one? Click here to find out.
Is it one of these? Large AFL Greatest List
See the below of top Australian football players, compiled using other published lists and visitor feedback. The athletes below are listed in first name order - once the shortlist is complete then you will be able to vote for who you think is the greatest of all. This list is not complete - if you know of someone who should be listed here, let us know using the comment form below. We already have profiles of some of these AFL legends.
|Adam Goodes||Sydney Swans|
|Alex Jesaulenko||Carlton/St Kilda|
|Ben Cousins||West Coast / Richmond|
|Bob Pratt||South Melbourne|
|Bob Skilton||South Melbourne|
|Chris Judd||West Coast / Carlton|
|Darrel Baldock||St Kilda|
|Gary Ablett Jnr||Geelong, Gold Coast|
|Gary Ablett, Sr||Hawthorn/Geelong|
|Polly Farmer||Geelong/East Perth/West Perth|
|Haydn Bunton Snr||Fitzroy/Subiaco/Port Adelaide Magpies|
|Ian Stewart||St Kilda/Richmond. One of four triple Brownlow Medalists.|
|Jack Dyer||Richmond. One of the toughest players to have played the game|
|James "Jock" McHale||Collingwood|
|Lance Franklin||Hawthorn / Sydney|
|Nathan Buckley||Brisbane Bears/Collingwood|
|Robert Harvey||St Kilda|
|Roy Cazaly||St Kilda/South Melbourne|
|Ted (E.J) Whitten||Footscray|
|Tony "Plugger" Lockett||St Kilda / Sydney|
|Wayne Carey||North Melbourne / Adelaide|
- More about the sport of aussie rules
- All time greatest index of sports
- Other sport specific lists
- More about the World of Sport
Commenting is closed on this page, though you can read some previous comments below which may answer some of your questions.
- Consider the following for addition to the list of AFL greats.: Nathan Buckley, Darren Jarman, Adam Goodes, Mark Riccuito (from Brenda Vallance, April 2023)
- Gary Ablett Senior!
- Laurie Nash, he was known as the "best ever", he kicked 18 goals in a state match against South Australia, (an MCG and state match record) he kicked 53 goals while Bob Pratt was kicking 150 and he helped South Melbourne win their last premiership in 1933. He also played a great game in South's losing grand final to Richmond in 1934. Nash was also a superstar cricketer representing tasmania as a bowler. (from Luke, Feb 2013)
- Michel Tuck - has played more games than anyone ever and won more premierships (from Nick Sibbing, Feb 2013)
- Michael Voss (suggested by Kai, Jan 2013)
- You have to add Malcolm Blight (North Melbourne) and Andrew MacCleod (Adelaide Crows) - (voted best ever Indigenous player) (from Davo, Jan 2013)
- No way Dane Swan, Buddy Franklin could get a spot (Nov 2012)
- Dane Swan (Aug 2012)
- Greg Williams (Oct 2010)