Ernie Stautner's Beef Barbecue
German born Ernie Stautner starred as a defensive tackle with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and was one of the athletes featured in The All-Star Athletes Cook Book. His recipe is reproduced here as an example of what may have been considered a meal fit for an athlete 50 years ago. The book contains recipes presented by most of the famous, and many not so famous, athletes of the 1960s from all sports - baseball to car racing, football to golf, and everything in between.
- 8 Buy leaves
- 2 Cups beef bouillon
- 4 peppercorns, crushed
- 3 lbs round steak, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- Corn oil
- 13 small whole white onions, peeled
- To beef bouillon add bay leaves and crushed peppercorns and simmer for 30 minutes
- Marinate steak cubes in warm bouillon mixture for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove from marinade, thread on skewers, alternating with onions
- Dip or brush well with corn oil; place over hot fire and broil, basting frequently with bouillon mixture.
The All-Star Athletes Cook Book is by Oscar Fraley and David Huntley, cartoons by Willard Mullin. Publisher: New York Centaur House Hawthorn, First Edition 1965. Buy The All-Star Athletes Cook Book.