The All-Star Athletes Cook Book is possibly the first cookbook written specifically for athletes, and if not it would probably be the first that is written by athletes. The book contains recipes presented by most of the famous, and many not so famous, athletes of the 1960s from all sports - baseball to car racing, football to golf, and everything in between.
The athletes featured in the book are from the US in the 1960s so may not be familiar to everyone, and the recipes undoubtedly would not be considered ideal nutrition for the modern athlete.
If you can get a hold of one of these it would be worthwhile out of curiosity and of historical value rather than the value of the recipes that are included.
The All-Star Athletes Cook Book is by Oscar Fraley and David Huntley, cartoons by Willard Mullin. Publisher: New York Centaur House Hawthorn, First Edition 1965. Buy The All-Star Athletes Cook Book.
Selected Recipes from the book
- Gordie Howe's Canadian Bacon Pot Roast
- Ernie Stautner's Beef Barbecue
- Jim Pagliaroni's Beef Stroganoff
- Bob Friend's Steak Burgers
- Yogi Berra's Baked Bluefish with Mushroom Sauce
- Tom Flores' Beef Stewed with Olives
- Vince Lombardi's Broiled Deviled Ham Steaks
- Willie May's Imperial Valley Spareribs
- Y.A. Tittle's Savory Grilled Chicken
- Sam Snead's Turkey-Wild Rice Casserole
- Don Drysdale's Steamed Fish
- Frank Stranahan's Instant Energy Salad
- Al Lopez's Stew Espanol
- Bill Rigney's Below the Border Barbecue Sauce
- Arnold Palmer's Steak Teriyaki
- Bob Pettit's Stuffed Olives
- Eddie Arcaro's Italian Style Baked Partridge
- Stan Musial's All-Purpose Barbecue Sauce
- Frank Gifford's Special Barbecue Baste
- Rocky Marciano's Flaming Beef Collops
- Herman Entwhistle Ochiltree's Farci Mystere
- Johnny Bucyk's broiled stuffed lobster
- Jacques Plante trout and potato boulettes
- Jack Dempsey's Campfire Style Trout
- Jerry West's Sweet'n'Spicy Boneless Pork Butt
- Mike Ditka's Charcoal Bar-B-Q Swordfish Steaks
- Don Meredith's Prairie Jackrabbit
- Al Davis' Rock Cornish Hen Casserole
- Julius Boros' sweet 'n' sour liver fingers
- Blanton Collier's Kentucky burgoo
Other recipes include 'Braised stuffed pheasant', pickled oysters, grilled bourbon spareribs, and anchovy barbecue sauce.
- All Star Feast Cookbook — recipes compiled by Wendy Diamond, 1995
- More Sports Nutrition Books
- List of Cookbooks for Athletes
- About Sports Nutrition