Nutrients: The Good Components of Food
We hear about these terms all the time, but due to the hype that is often surrounding them in the media, we don't always know what they really are.
Here is a no-nonsense guide to some of the components of the food we eat.
- Carbohydrates — not the evil food you thought it is.
- Amino Acids — the building blocks of protein
- Glycemic Index (GI) — low and high GI foods explained
- Antioxidants — what are they really?
- Probiotics — probiotics are live microorganisms which can increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the gut.
- Calcium — for building bones
- Zinc — an essential nutrient needed for enzyme activity and the immune system.
- Cholesterol — keeping it down
- Preservative 282 — a food additive and preservative
- Caffeine — is it good or bad for us
- Sports Nutrition — nutritional advice for the active person
- Macro-Nutrients and Athletic Performance