Caffeine is detrimental to one’s health, true or false?
THIS IS FALSE, BUT SOMEWHAT TRUE
- Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant and will ‘perk you up’
- It can be a problem for those with heart disease or those that are pregnant.
- It is a diuretic agent - it will make your body lose water
- Caffeine is addictive.
< 600mg/day – for the average person
< 200mg/day – pregnancy, heart problems
Below is a list of the caffeine content of common drinks. There is also a more comprehensive list.
|Brewed coffee, 1 cup||100 – 500|
|Instant coffee, 1 cup||80 – 100|
|Tea, 1 cup||8 – 90|
|Can of cola, 375ml||35 – 50|
|Energy drink, 250ml||80|
- Decaf coffee is better for you than regular coffee - Myth?
- Coffee, Caffeine & Fitness — a discussion on the benefits of caffeine on sports performance.
- Caffeine content of food and drinks
- Caffeine — Is it good or bad for us?
- More Health and Nutrition Myths
- Fitness and Weight Loss Myth