Equipment Required: a pair of dumbbells, bench with back support (optional).
- Start by sitting on the bench (with back support).
- Grasp the dumbbells using an overhand grip.
- Hold the dumbbells above the shoulders slightly in front of you, pointing the elbows towards the floor.
- Push the dumbbells up and overhead so that the arms are fully extended.
- After a pause lower the weights to the starting position.
Key points to remember
- Keep the abdominals tight and the lower back in a neutral position
- Avoid locking the elbows when the arms are extended overhead
- This exercise can also be done sitting on a bench that does not have back support, though this is recommended. You can also perform this exercise standing.