- To strengthen your back, gluteals and hamstring muscles
- Equipment Required: a firm but not hard surface such as an exercise mat
- Start by resting on your hands and knees, with your back flat and abdominal muscles squeezed in tightly.
- With your foot flexed, extend your leg straight behind you.
- Keeping your back flat, lift your left leg up until it is level with your back, and hold for several seconds
- Lower your leg.
- Repeat this action several times on the one side.
- Change legs and repeat.
- Start with five repetitions each side, and increase to 20 as you get fitter.
Key points to remember
- Do not let your abdominal muscles hang loose