Many people who are new to the gym or have been applying for a gym membership for a long time but are still new to fitness always feel like "I don't know what to do" at the moment they enter the gym. It's okay! If you are someone who wants to start exercising but doesn't know how to do it, then you must not miss this guide!
What equipment do I need to bring to the gym?
- Sports shoes: Choose a pair of sports shoes that are suitable for your foot type and gait based on different types of exercise, providing sufficient support and protection to reduce the risk of injury.
- Sportswear: Choose breathable, sweat-absorbing, and comfortable sportswear, try to avoid overly loose clothing, and recommend seamless sportswear that has been popular in recent years. Currently, many seamless clothing manufacturing factories integrate seamless technology and fashion perfectly, allowing you to wear confidently while exercising.
- Towel: Bring a soft and absorbent towel to wipe off sweat at any time and maintain a refreshing feeling.
- Wrist strap/gloves: If you need weight training, you can choose a wrist strap or gloves with support and protection to reduce hand injuries.
Suggested exercise process:
1. Warming up: Warming up before fitness is a very important step. You need to move your body joints, improve blood circulation, gradually find the feeling of exercise, and then engage in formal training. This will make the training more efficient and reduce the risk of injury.
We can first move on to the key points of our body, improve lubrication, and then jog on the treadmill for 10-15 minutes to increase body temperature before moving on to the next step of training.
2. Strength training: The equipment in the strength zone is divided into three types: free equipment, hanging equipment, and inserting equipment.
- Free equipment is difficult to use, so beginners should avoid practicing immediately as it is more prone to injury.
- Hanging and inserting instruments: They are relatively easy to use!
- The fixed instrument has a fixed trajectory and does not require deliberate control. It has strong targeting for the target muscle group and is relatively safe and simple. Very suitable for beginners in fitness.
3. Aerobic exercise: Strength training is performed at the peak of physical fitness, followed by aerobic exercise. For people with excessive body fat, it is necessary to maintain aerobic exercise 4-5 times a week, each time for about 40 minutes. For those with muscle gain, aerobic exercise should be performed three times a week, with each session lasting about 30 minutes.
People who are just beginning to engage in aerobic exercise can start with low-intensity activities (brisk walking, jogging, cycling, aerobics), gradually strengthen their physical endurance, and then increase the intensity of the exercise. They can choose activities that consume more calories (skipping rope, boxing, jumping, HIIT interval training, etc.).
4. Stretching and cool down: This is also an indispensable step, which can alleviate muscle congestion, promote muscle repair, reduce the occurrence of soreness, and improve muscle elasticity.
Introduction to common equipment in the gym:
Choose the appropriate exercises and training plan, and adjust the weights and loads according to your own fitness level and goals. For all exercise equipment, make sure you warm-up prior to using.
Before getting on the treadmill, adjust the parameters such as speed and slope, or choose a suitable training mode.
When getting on the treadmill, first stand on the pedals on both sides, wait for the running belt to stabilize, and then slowly move onto the running belt.
When running, maintain the correct posture and breathing, and hold onto the armrest or swing naturally with both hands.
After running, do not immediately stop running or get off the treadmill, but gradually reduce the speed and slope until it comes to a complete stop.
After getting off the treadmill, you should engage in stretching and relaxation activities to promote blood circulation and muscle recovery.
2. Elliptical machine
Before using the elliptical machine, adjust the parameters such as resistance and speed, or choose a suitable training mode.
When getting on the elliptical machine, first stand on two pedals and hold both handles with both hands to maintain balance.
At the beginning of the movement, use the force of your legs to push the pedal forward and backward, while using the force of your arms to push and pull the handle, forming an elliptical motion trajectory.
When exercising, maintain the correct posture and breathing, and hold onto the armrest or handle with both hands.
After the exercise is over, do not immediately stop the movement or lower the elliptical machine, but gradually reduce the resistance and speed until it comes to a complete stop.
After getting off the elliptical machine, stretching and relaxation activities should be carried out to promote blood circulation and muscle recovery.
3. Rowing machine
When using a sitting rowing machine, maintain the correct posture and breathing, hold the handle of the rope with both hands, place your chest close to the cushion in front of the seat, and place your feet flat on the ground. The arms stay straight at first, with the legs doing all the work. Make sure you breathe evenly.
4. Barbells and Dumbbells (freeweights)
When using free weights, it is necessary to maintain the correct posture and breathing, hold the barbell/dumbbell with both hands, and control the balance and stability of the barbell/dumbbell.
5. Chest pushing machine:
When using the chest massage machine, maintain the correct posture and breathing, hold the handle with both hands, press your back tightly against the seat, and place your feet flat on the ground.
6. Backpull machine:
When using a back pull machine, maintain the correct posture and breathing, hold the handle of the rope with both hands, keep your back straight, and place your feet flat on the ground.
7. Leg extension machine:
When using a leg extensor, maintain the correct posture and breathing, place your feet on the rollers, press your back tightly against the seat, and hold the armrest with both hands.