10 meter Agility Shuttle
This test measures agility and speed while running between two lines 10m apart. The following describes the procedures as used in the International Physical Fitness Test and Singapore's National Physical Fitness Award. There is a similar 30 feet shuttle run test that is part of the President's Challenge Fitness Awards.
- purpose: this is a test of speed, body control and the ability to change direction (agility).
- equipment required: two wooden blocks for each runner (each block should measure 10 x 5 x 5 cm), marker cones or marking tape, measurement tape, stopwatch, flat non-slip surface, with two lines 10 meters apart.
- procedure: Mark two lines 10 meters apart using marking tape or cones. The two blocks are placed on the line opposite the line they are going to start at. On the signal "ready", the participant places their front foot behind the starting line. On the signal, "go!" the participant sprints to the opposite line, picks up a block of wood, runs back and places it on or beyond the starting line. Then turning without a rest, they run back to retrieve the second block and carry it back across the finish line. Two trials are performed. See video.
- scoring: Record the time to complete the test in seconds to the nearest one decimal place. The score is the better of the two times recorded. A trial is void if a block is dropped or thrown.
- target population: this is a good test for children as a measure of general athleticism. Sports in which agility is important include tennis, soccer and basketball.
- advantages: this test can be conducted on large groups relatively quickly with minimal equipment required.
- comments: the blocks should be placed at the line, not thrown across them. Also make sure the participants run through the finish line to maximize their score. In addition to running speed, turning technique and coordination are also significant factors in this test.
- watch a video of this test being performed.
- about the International Physical Fitness Test and Singapore's National Physical Fitness Award Scheme
- see the similar 30 feet shuttle
- other shuttle runs: 20 yd agility, 20 yards,60 yards, 300 yards
- other agility tests