60 Yard Shuttle Test
This test is part of the fitness testing battery for the NFL Combine.
- purpose: this is a test of anaerobic speed endurance.
- equipment required: stopwatch, measuring tape or marked football field, marker cones, a flat non-slip surface
- procedure: This is a ladder shuttle of progressing distances. Three marker cones are placed at the yard lines 5 yards apart. The athlete starts from one end, runs 5 yards and back to the start, 10 yards and back, then 15 yards and finishes at the start line. A total of 60 yards is completed. The player is required to touch the line with their hand at each turn, for a total of five touches.
- scoring: The time to complete the test in seconds is recorded. The score is the best time of three trials.
- target population: This test is part of the NFL testing combine, though it would be suitable for athletes involved in many team sports such basketball, hockey, rugby, soccer.
- comments: This is a longer version of the other NFL test the 20 yard shuttle agility test.