Sport in Sweden
Sweden is one of the most beautiful countries in the world as well as one of the largest in Europe. This Scandinavian country is located in Northern Europe and sports are considered as one of the country's biggest obsessions.
Around half of the country's population actively take part in one form of a sport or two. As with most European countries, football is almost like a religion to the Swedish public. Some of the best football players in the world are from Sweden such as Johan Elmander, Rasmus Elm, and Zlatan Ibrahimović.
And who in the football world has not heard of the Swedish Gre-No-Li, a trio of football powerhouse who are still enjoying a great amount of popularity in Italy. The trio is made up of Gunnar Gren, Gunnar Nordahl, and Nils Liedholm. But the biggest name, not just in Sweden and Italy, but the world as a whole is Sven-Göran Eriksson. They have also hosted quite a number of international football events and have had a good amount of notoriety. Sweden hosted the 1958 World Cup and 1992 European Football Championship. Sweden is also one of the few European countries that can claim that they have never lost to England since 1968.
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Sweden. See also the list the most popular internet searches for "sports" in Sweden.
Popular sports of Sweden (see more)
- Football (Soccer), tennis, skiing
Traditional or Local Sports
- Kubb — a lawn game where the object is to knock over wooden blocks ('kubbs') by throwing wooden batons at them.
- Pärk (also called Paerk) — an outdoor team sport that originated in Gotland, where players hit or kick the ball to gain field position.
- Varpa — an old outdoor game dating back to the Viking Age. It is similar to boules but played with a flat and heavy thrower known as "varpa" instead of balls, once made of shaped stones but nowadays aluminium is more popular.
Sweden Sporting Success
Athletes from Sweden
- Björn Borg (tennis)
- Annika Sörenstam (golf)
- Zlatan Ibrahimović (football)
- Magdalena Forsberg (biathlon)
- Patrik Sjöberg (high jump)
- Peter Forsberg (ice hockey)
- Börje Salming (ice hockey)
- Gunde Svan (cross-country skiing)
- Ingemar Johansson (boxing)
- Ronnie Peterson (Formula 1)
- Anja Pärson (alpine skiing)
- Ingemar Stenmark (alpine skiing)
Sweden Sports trivia
Sweden at major events
- Sweden at the Summer Olympics
- Sweden at the Winter Olympics
- Sweden at the FIFA World Cup
- Sweden women's football team at the FIFA Women's World Cup
Past sporting events hosted in Sweden
- Olympic Games summer hosts: 1912 Stockholm
- 1958 FIFA World Cup Sweden
- 1992 UEFA European (Euro) Football Championship
Upcoming sporting events in Sweden
Annual sporting events held in Sweden
- Swedish Open - tennis tournament held in July each year in Båstad
- Stanga Games (the "Gotland Olympics") - annual traditional sports event in Gotland.
Sporting Facilities in Sweden
- Stockholm Olympic Stadium, Stockholm, Sweden
Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let me know.