This test is an alternative to the 1.5 mile run test which forms part of the Navy Physical Readiness Test (PRT), performed by US Navy personnel every six months. The elliptical trainer test is also a low impact alternative to the run test.
purpose: This test measures aerobic fitness and swimming ability.
equipment required: standard 25 or 50 yard/meter swimming pool, stopwatch
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Perform screening of health risks and obtain informed consent. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender, test conditions. See more details of pre-test procedures.
procedure: The aim of this test is to swim 500 yards or 450 meters in the fastest time possible. Any swim stroke and turn may be used. Swimmers begin the test in the water. On the command ‘go,’ the clock will start, and you will begin swimming at your own pace. The timer shall call out time intervals or lengths until completion of test. Swimmers may push off from sides with hands and feet after each pool length. Resting is permitted by holding side of pool, standing, or treading water. Swimmers may use goggles, face masks, swim caps, and or ear plugs, though fins, snorkels, flotation, wet suit, and propulsion devices are not allowed.
scoring: The total time to complete the distance is recorded, to the nearest second. The minimum standard for the US Navy Seals in this test is 12 min 30 seconds.
comments: the test will be stopped if the participant moves forward while resting, or receives or requires assistance from the lifeguard or another person.
The Test in Action
- This test is part of the Navy Physical Readiness Test (PRT).
- Swimming Beep Test — conducted in a 25m pool, starting at a speed of 1 m/sec and increasing by 0.05 m/sec every two minutes
- Swim 12-minute test — swim for maximum distance in 12 minutes
- 1 km Swim Test — swim 1km as fast as you can.
- About swimming endurance tests
- US Navy Seals fitness assessments
- Military Swim Tests — list of swimming tests as performed by military departments around the world.
- PRT testing discussion and scoring
- Navy PRT 1.5 mile run test
- The NAVY PRT elliptical trainer test
- List of Fitness Tests involving Swimming
- List of Fitness Tests for Swimmers
- Fitness Testing protocols for swimmers