Swimming is the sport or activity of propelling oneself through water using the limbs. Competitive swimming is usually performed in a 25m or 50m pool, using various stroke styles. Some other officially regulated strokes by International Swimming Federation (FINA) include freestyle, butterfly, breaststroke and backstroke. These four strokes combine to make up the medley events.
long-distance open water swimming events are also held on open water, such as rivers and oceans. Swimming is also a part of other sports, such as triathlon.
The major competitions for men and women events are the short and long course world championships and the Olympics too. Swimming is one of the most renowned sports of the summer Olympics.
- Freestyle — in these events competitors can swim using any stroke of their choice.
- Backstroke — a swimming stroke performed on the back with the arms lifted alternately out of the water in a backward circular motion and the legs extended and kicking.
- Breaststroke — one of the major swimming strokes, performed with the swimmer with his chest forward and facing towards to bottom of the pool.
- Butterfly — one of the major swimming stroke styles, swum on the breast, with both arms moving simultaneously, accompanied by a "dolphin kick.
Sports Involving Swimming
- Relay Swimming — a swimming race in which teams of four race consecutively.
- Open Water Swimming — competitive swimming races conducted over various distances (10km at the Olympics) held in rivers, lakes and oceans.
- Triathlon — an athletic competition, which consists of three events, usually swimming, cycling, and running in consecutive order.
- Quadrathlon — an endurance sports event composed of the four individual disciplines of swimming, kayaking, cycling and running - also called quadriathlon.
- Finswimming — an underwater swimming sport where athletes race against each other while wearing breathing apparatus.
- Aquathlon — a continuous race involving swimming followed by running.
- Biathle — consists of swimming and running as part of a single race. It is usually over a shorter distance than the similar Aquathlon.
- Triathle — a shortened version of the Modern Pentathlon, athletes compete in shooting, swimming and running events as a part of a single race.
- Aquabike — a shortened version of triathlon, with no running leg. Athletes swim followed by cycling.
- Ironman Surflifesaving — combines four major aspects of surflifesaving into a single race: swimming, board paddling, ski paddling, and beach running.
- Modern Pentathlon — an event in the Olympics that comprises five events: fencing, 200m freestyle swimming, show jumping, and a combined event of pistol shooting and 3200m cross country run.
- Synchronized Swimming — athletes perform synchronized dance routines to music while floating in the water.
- More about the sport of swimming
- Swimming at the Olympics
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports