River Rafting is a competitive sport in which the objective is to navigate downstream on river rapids using an inflated raft. It is considered an extreme sport that is highly challenging and risky, and requires a great deal of teamwork. Rafting is also an extremely popular recreational activity practiced in most countries around the world.
All rafting races are conducted on natural river courses which lead through rapids. There are two different types of events conducted for rafting, which are,
- Sprint: Conducted in either an individual format or a head-to-head format in which riders have to complete the course through the best possible route.
- Slalom: In this type of race, the course consists of slalom-like turns and riders have to successfully navigate around them.
All rafting races are team races in which 2 - 8 riders take part. Regardless of the type of race, the objective is to complete the course in the fastest time possible.
The International Rafting Federation is the highest governing body for the sport which conducts competitions and is also responsible for popularizing the sport. The World Rafting Championships is the highest level event conducted for rafting, in which, races are conducted the open category and also for riders of different age groups, for both men and women.
- Wildwater Canoe — kayaks or canoes are used to negotiate a natural stretch of rapids on a river as fast as possible.
- Canoe Slalom — is a kayaking and canoeing sport in which athletes use a kayak or canoe to navigate through a course that consists of hanging gates on river rapids.
- Canoe Freestyle / Playboating — a whitewater sport in which athletes on kayaks or canoes perform various moves in a fixed place called the playspot.
- Kayaking — boat races using a small, narrow boat propelled using a double-bladed paddle.
- Canoeing — paddle sport in which the rider kneels or sits facing forward in a canoe.
- About Paddling Sports
- About the unusual sporting event: the Matlock Raft Race
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports