There are several relays events as part of the Sportshall athletics series designed for the indoor use of school age competitors. There are other relay events such as the Paarlauf, Obstacle and Over/Under relays. This is a brief outline of the straight sprinting relay events - for more details see the official literature.
- 1 + 1 Lap Relay – Each team member completes one lap each. Also a similar 1 + 1 Lap Hurdle Relay.
- 2 + 2 Lap Relay – Each team member completes two consecutive laps each.
- 1 + 2 Lap Relay – The first team member completes one lap, and the second team member completes two laps.
- 4 x 1 Lap Relay – Each of the four team members complete one lap each.
- 4 x 2 Lap Relay – Each of the four team members complete two consecutive laps each.
- Sportshall indoor track
- Team base mat
General Procedure for all relays
- All athletes contesting the relay must sit on the team base mat.
- The first athlete from each team steps up to the start line. The starting rules and lap running is as described for the sprint events. After each lap the athlete returns to the center of the hall and hands the baton to the next runner. The retiring runner returns to the team base mat.
- The last runner proceeds as the previous runners instead of handing over the baton, runs through the finish line in the center of the hall.
- Only at bigger events such as the UK Championships is there a take-over box. When present, the outgoing runner may start from a position 10 meters back from the start/finish line and the baton must be passed between this line and the first Reversaboard.
- About Sportshall
- All Track and Filed Events
- Olympic Games track and field events
- Commonwealth Games athletics events