Over/Under Relays Sportshall Event
There are several relay events as part of the Sportshall athletics series. This page describes the Over/Under Relay, other relay events include Paarlauf, Obstacle and multiple lap relays. This is a brief outline of the event - for more details see the official literature.
- Sportshall indoor track
- Team base mat
General Procedure for the Over / Under Relay
- All four team members sit behind the team base mat.
- The first runner starts in a crouched position with both hands on the edge of the mat and both knees off the floor. On the whistle they must complete a forward or sideways roll on the mat, clear the first hurdle, crawl through the tunnel and clear the second hurdle.
- They then turn on the Reversaboard at the far end of the hall and repeat the course in the opposite direction.
- Finally they turn on the Reversaboard behind the team base mat, turn and touch the shoulder of the next runner, before returning to the team base mat.
- The second and third runners proceed as the first runner. The last runner must also complete the course as above, though after having turned on the final Reversaboard they must run through the finish line in the center of the hall.
- A half second time penalty is given for each fault noted. One fault will be given for each occasion an athlete:
- Fails to complete a forward or sideways roll.
- Omits a hurdle. Faults are not given if an athlete knocks over a hurdle.
- Fails to go through the tunnel.
- Starts before the previous runner has touched their shoulder.
- About Sportshall
- Other relay events
- All Track and Filed Events
- Olympic Games track and field events
- Commonwealth Games athletics events