Sprints Sportshall Event
Sprinting athletics events are part of the Sportshall series designed for the indoor use of school age competitors. This is a brief outline of the events, for more details see official literature. See also the hurdle events.
- 1 lap
- 2 lap
- 4 lap
- Indoor track
- 2 x turning boards (Reversaboard) per lane
General Procedure for Sprints
- For the start, only a standing start technique is permitted. Also, the command 'Set' is not used - the starter calls “On Your Marks” and when all athletes are settled, the whistle or pistol signals the start of the race.
- The athlete steps up to the start line, ensuring that their feet remain behind the line. On the start signal, the athlete runs towards the first Reversaboard. They turn on the Reversaboard and run the return leg, turning on the second Reversaboard. The lap finishes back at the start line with the competitor facing in the same direction as he/she started; hence one lap is the equivalent to running two lengths of the sports hall.
- About Sportshall
- Sportshall Relay and Hurdle Events
- All Track and Filed Events
- Olympic Games track and field events
- Commonwealth Games athletics events