Paarlauf Relays Sportshall Event
There are several relay events as part of the Sportshall athletics series. This page describes the Paarlauf Relay, other relay events include the Obstacle, Over/Under and multiple lap relays. This is a brief outline of the event - for more details see the official literature.
- Sportshall indoor track
- Team base mat
General Procedure for Paarlaufs (6 Lap or 8 Lap)
- All athletes contesting the relay must sit on the team base mat.
- Paarlauf races are for teams of two athletes who run in turn. The two members must cover the total number of laps (6 or 8) between them they do not necessarily have to run the same distance. Each athlete must cover at least one lap.
- The first athlete from the team steps up to the start line. The starting rules and lap running is as described for the sprint events. After the athletes turn, they return to the center of the hall and hands the baton to the next runner. The retiring runner returns to the team base mat.
- The baton can be exchanged when running in either direction.
- The last runner proceeds as the previous runners instead of handing over the baton, runs through the finish line in the center of the hall.
- Only at bigger events such as the UK Championships is there a take-over box. When present, the outgoing runner may start from a position 10 meters back from the start/finish line and the baton must be passed between this line and the first Reversaboard.
- About Sportshall
- Other relay events
- All Track and Filed Events
- Olympic Games track and field events
- Commonwealth Games athletics events