The leg press, using machine weights, is a relatively safe exercise to do, even for those with knee problems.
equipment required: leg press machine
- Choose the appropriate weight and set the seat so that the knees are bent just over right angles.
- Position feet about shoulder width apart
- Try to push through your heels, keeping the knees lined up over the toes
- Extend the legs until nearly straight, avoiding locking the knees
- Lower the weight slowly back towards the starting position
- Repeat for the number of reps required
Key points to remember
- Breathe out as you push, breathe in as the weight is lowered
- Many leg press machines have a stopper that can be set so the weight cannot fall any lower. You should set this at the appropriate level in case you fatigue and lose control of the weight
- You can bend the knees as much as you feel comfortable. The greater the knee bend, the more strain that will be placed on the knees.
- It is also possible to perform this exercise one leg at a time.
Any comments, suggestions, or corrections? Please let us know.