Women's Soccer World Cup Canada 2015
The 7th FIFA Women's World Cup was held in Canada. The event was held from 6 June to 5 July 2015. The winners were the USA, beating Japan 5-2, avenging their loss to Japan on penalties in the 2011 final.
US 5: Carli Lloyd 3,5,16, Lauren Holiday 14, Tobin Heath 54
Japan 2: Yuki Ogimi 27, Julie Johnston 52og
Canada automatically qualified as the host nation. All other nations started qualification in their confederations in 2014. There was a total of 24 teams competing in these World Cup finals, increasing from 16 previously to 24, with the number of matches increasing from 32 to 52.
Australia, Brazil, Cameroon, Canada, China PR, Colombia, Costa Rica, England, France, Germany, Ivory Coast, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, and the United States.
- Debuting teams: Cameroon, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Ivory Coast, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand.
- Thailand were the first ever qualifiers from South-East Asia.
- The 2015 Women's World Cup was the first to be played on artificial turf.
- The tournament used the Hawk-Eye system as goal-line technology for the first time.
- The mascot of the tournament was a female great white owl called Shuéme.
- About Canada at the Women's World Cup
- List of Women's World Cup host countries
- Men's Football World Cup Hosts
- Women's World Cup Info