The 3rd edition of the ICC World Twenty20 was in West Indies in 2010, less than a year after the previous tournament in 2009. As in 2009, the tournament was organized in parallel with the women's tournament
The format was the same as previous T20 World Cups. The tournament featured 12 teams, the ten Test-playing nations plus two qualifiers, Afghanistan and Ireland.
- Group A: Pakistan, Bangladesh, Australia.
- Group B: Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Zimbabwe.
- Group C: South Africa, India, Afghanistan.
- Group D: West Indies, England, Ireland.
From these initial four groups of three, the top two from each group went through to the Super Eight second stage of the tournament. These eight teams played in two groups of four. The two top teams from each Super Eight group qualified for the knock-out semi-finals.
The final of the 2010 ICC World Twenty20 was played at Kensington Oval, England defeated Australia by 7 wickets.
- Afghanistan made their first-ever appearance in a major ICC international cricket tournament.