Canada has a wide range of popular sports from ice hockey to curling. Lacrosse is one of its most popular sports and traditionally has Native American roots. Other popular games include basketball, baseball, football and ice hockey.
Lacrosse was declared Canada's national game in 1859. However, in 1994, Canadian Parliament passed Canada's National Sport Act, which made lacrosse the national summer sport, and hockey the national winter sport. Hockey is the quintessential Canadian sport and players have done quite well in it internationally, including in the NHL and the Olympic Games.
Canada has been present in all the Winter Olumpic Games and almost all of the Summer Games since they first participated in the 1900 except when they took part in the 1980 Moscow Games US-led boycott. Canada has also hosted the Olympic Games three times in Montreal (1976, Summer), Calgary (1988, Winter) and Vancouver (2010, Winter). So far the Canadian athletes with the most Olympic medals are Cindy Klassen and Clara Hughes both with 6 medals. Jayna Hefford, Hayley Wickenheiser and Caroline Ouellette however had taken home the most gold with four for each.
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Canada. See also the list the most popular internet searches for "sports" in Canada.
Popular sports of Canada (see more)
Regional or Traditional Sports of Canada
Canada Sporting Success
- Canada has dominated ice hockey at the Winter Olympic Games
Great athletes from Canada
- Donovan Bailey (athletics)
- Wayne Gretzky (ice hockey)
- Jacques Villeneuve (F1 driver)
Canada Sports trivia
- James Naismith, the inventor of basketball, was from Canada.
Canada at major events
- Canada at the Summer Olympics
- Canada at the Winter Olympics
- Canada at the Commonwealth Games
- Canada at the FIFA World Cup
- Canada at the Cricket World Cup
- Canada at the T20 World Cup
- Canada at the Rugby World Cup
- Canada women's football team at the FIFA Women's World Cup
Past sporting events hosted in Canada
- 1930 British Empire Games Hamilton
- 1954 Commonwealth Games Vancouver
- 1976 Olympic Games Summer host in Montreal
- 1976 Paralympic Games in Toronto
- 1978 Commonwealth Games Edmonton
- 1988 Winter Olympic Games host Calgary
- 1994 Commonwealth Games Victoria
- 2005 World Swimming Championship Montreal
- 2010 Winter Olympic Games host Vancouver
- 2015 Pan American Games
- 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup
- 2023 World Police and Fire Games, Winnipeg
Upcoming sporting events in Canada
- 2024 World Rowing Championships Henley Island/Martindale Pond, St. Catharine's, Ontario.
- 2030 Commonwealth Games in Hamilton?
Annual sporting events held in Canada
Sporting Facilities in Canada
- Workplace Assessments for departments in Canada
- Sport Science Study Institutions in Canada
- Sports Videos tagged 'Canada'
Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let me know.
- List of the most popular sports in Canada
- What do they call football/soccer in Canada?
- Countries list
- World of Sport Home