Montreal Olympic Stadium (Stade Olympique)
The Olympic stadium in Montreal was built for the 1976 Olympic Games. The stadium is located at Olympic Park in the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve district of Montreal. It sis the largest capacity stadium in Canada, at 56,040 which is expandable with temporary seating (at the time of the Olympics, it held 73,000)
Events Held at Montreal Olympic Stadium
Here are just some of the major events that have been held at the Montreal Olympic Stadium:
- 1976 Olympic Games — the opening and closing ceremonies, athletics, football (final), equestrian (jumping team final).
- 1979 IAAF World Cup in Athletics
- 2017 Artistic Gymnastics World Championships
Montreal Olympic Stadium Trivia
- The stadium is nicknamed it is nicknamed "The Big O" due to the doughnut-shape of its roof.
- The Montreal Tower, located next to the stadium, is the tallest inclined tower in the world. It is 175 meters tall at an angle of 45 degrees.
- Willie Stargell of the Pittsburgh Pirates hit the longest home run at Olympic Stadium in 1978, driving the ball into the second deck in right field for an estimated distance of 535 feet.
- Olympic Games stadiums
- All stadiums list
- 1976 Olympic Games
- Top-10 largest stadiums in the world
- Sport in Canada