Sport in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnia and Herzegovina is a state located in the Balkan Peninsula, bordered by Croatia and Serbia. As far as sports are concerned, their most popular sport is undeniably football. They have been playing football in the B&H since the early 20th century and its influence grew significantly post World War II.
Although athletes from this region have been involved in international sport previously, they did not compete under their own name until the break up of Yugoslavia in 1991, as was also Slovenia, Macedonia, Croatia and Serbia-Montenegro.
Though football is basically their national sport, they have not done well internationally. The Bosnia and Herzegovina national football team was not able to qualify for any football championship until the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. The country has produced some great footballers over the years, but many chose to represent other nations, such as Mario Stanić (who played for Croatia) and Mile Mitić (Serbia). More examples of these includes Vladimir Radmanović, Zoran Savić, Savo Milošević, Aleksandar Nikolić and Zoran Planinić.
Basketball is also quite popular in B&H and their national basketball club, the KK Bosna and the former Yugoslav national basketball team, have won European basketball championships since 1963 all the way to 1990. B&H basketball players that have made some waves internationally include Mirza Teletović who played NBA for the Brooklyn Nets and the emerging talent Jusuf Nurkić of the Denver Nuggets.
Bosnia and Herzegovina participated in the Summer Olympic Games under their current flag for the first time in the Barcelona Olympics in 1992. As the present B&H, they have not yet received an Olympic medal but have contributed to the Yugoslavian Olympic delegation since 1956. They brought in a total of 5 gold, 6 silvers, and 4 bronze medals while they were under the Yugoslavian flag.
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let us know.
Popular sports of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Football (Soccer), Basketball, Handball, Tennis, Ice Hockey, Water Polo
Sporting Success for Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Qualified for the 2014 FIFA World Cup
Athletes from Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Safet Sušić (football)
- Hasan Salihamidžić (football)
- Meho Kodro (football)
Bosnia and Herzegovina Sports trivia
- The 1984 Winter Olympic Games were held in Sarajevo, the current capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina though it was a part of Yugoslavia at the time
Bosnia and Herzegovina at major events
- Bosnia and Herzegovina at the Summer Olympics
- Bosnia and Herzegovina at the Winter Olympics
- Bosnia and Herzegovina at the FIFA World Cup
Past sporting events hosted in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 1984 Sarajevo Winter Olympic Games
- 2011 51st World Military Skiing Championship, Sarajevo.
- 2019 European Youth Olympic Winter Festival (EYOWF), in Sarajevo and East Sarajevo
Upcoming sporting events in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Annual sporting events held in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Premier League of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Sarajevo Half Marathon
- Giro di Sarajevo
- BH Telecom Indoors - annual tennis tournament
Sporting Facilities in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Grbavica Stadium
- Otoka Stadion