The Groningen Reaction Time test is a simple test of reaction time. Participants are required to respond to a light as quickly as possible by pushing the button. This test is part of the protocol for the Groningen Fitness Test for the Elderly.
purpose: to measure reaction time in elderly persons
equipment required: a specially developed timer, which is connected to a handheld module with a display light in the middle and a button on top, much like a stopwatch.
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender and test conditions. Record preferred hand. See more details of pre-test procedures.
procedure: The participant holds the module in the preferred hand and when the red light comes on must respond as quickly as possible by pushing the button. The reaction time (in milliseconds) is displayed on the timer. The time between the visual signals ranges between 4 and 9 seconds. After three practice trials, 15 trials are recorded.
scoring: The score recorded is the median of the 15 trials.
disadvantages: an apparatus specifically for this test needs to be obtained.
target population: this test was designed specifically for the elderly population.
reference: Koen A.P.Lemmink, Han Kemper, Mathieu H.G. de Greef, and Piet Rispens P, Stevens M, Reliability of the Groningen Fitness Test for the Elderly, Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 2001, 9, 194-212
The Test in Action
- This test is part of the protocol for the Groningen Fitness Test for the Elderly.
- Tap reaction time — another online reaction time test, in which you respond to a change in screen color by tapping the screen.
- Light Board Reaction Timer — description of a reaction and coordination test used in testing boxers.
- SVT Reaction Test — light board reaction time test used by the AFL
- Batak Reaction Board Test — a commercially available reaction testing system for sports.
- Test your reaction time A fun test of your finger clicking reaction time.
- More about the Groningen Fitness Test for the Elderly
- A discussion about Fitness Testing for the Elderly
- About testing Reaction Time
- See other coordination and reaction time tests
- Video examples of Reaction Time Tests.