This is a simple test of abdominal muscle strength, requiring no specific equipment. Participants perform four levels of sit-up actions of increasing difficulty. It is an easy test to administer, though as far as we know it has not been scientifically validated. See also the similar 7-Stage Abdominal Strength Test.
purpose: the 4-stage sit-up test measures lower back and abdominal strength, which is important for core stability.
equipment required: flat surface, recording sheet and pen.
pre-test: Explain the test procedures to the subject. Perform screening of health risks and obtain informed consent. Prepare forms and record basic information such as age, height, body weight, gender, test conditions. Measure and mark out the course. Ensure that the participants are adequately warmed-up. See more details of pre-test procedures.
procedure: This is a simple test where you are required to do four forms of sit ups. The subject attempts to perform one sit-up as described for each level, with either the feet held by an assistant or not, and with the legs straight or not. Several attempts can be made for each level, with the technique scored using the criteria below. The four levels are as follows:
- Perform a leg sit up with the knees at right angles and your feet held.
- Perform a leg sit up with the knees at right angles and your feet not held.
- Perform a straight leg sit up with your feet held.
- Perform a straight leg sit up with your feet not held.
scoring: Use the criteria in the following table to give a score out of four for each sit up. Add the score for all four sit-up levels for a total score out of 16.
|1||difficulty performing, jerky motion, feet leave the floor|
|2||uses a lot of momentum to overcome 45 degrees|
|3||performs with a slight pause in the mid area of the sit-up|
advantages: moderate sized groups can be tested at once, with minimal equipment required.
disadvantages: scoring is subjective, and therefore results cannot be easily compared between groups.
- See the similar 7-Stage Abdominal Strength Test
- Other sit up strength tests include the Straight Leg Abdominal Strength Test and the Dynamic Sit-Up Test
- Videos of Sit Up Fitness Tests
- About Abdominal Testing
- Abdominal endurance test
- Sit up exercise at the beach or at home
- Sit Up World Records