To become a personal trainer or strength and conditioning coach you may need to attend university for a Bachelors' Degree in a sport science field, though lesser but more specific qualifications may be appropriate. There are also many diplomas and other courses that can be undertaken.
Once you have your personal trainer qualifications, you should become accredited with your local national body, which is often a necessary requirement for jobs in this field.
The well respected American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) offers certifications for personal trainers. A strength and conditioning coach should also get accredited, look for the Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS ) or Strength & Conditioning Coach Certified (SCCC) certification. See more about accreditation in the sport sciences.
Our understanding of human health and physical performance is always growing, so it is important for personal trainers update their qualifications and continue to learn and evolve their knowledge.
- Personal Trainer Courses in Australia
- Courses for exercise physiology (kinesiology)
- A career as a personal trainer or an exercise physiologist
- Getting a job as a personal trainer
- Information about accreditation as a exercise physiologist
- Other Courses in Sport
- About other Careers in Sport