For some workers in the Sport Science field, it is helpful to become accredited with the appropriate professional association. Not only will it give you credibility to your clients, but it can also provide you with opportunity and networks to improve your knowledge and experiences and to develop your career in the field. There are quite a few professional bodies representing people who work in the sport science field. Here are a few of the major ones. There are probably region associations or branches of those listed below that will better serve you.
- ACSM — The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) is a professional society producing publications, scientific journals, world class conferences, scientific meetings & roundtables, and certification programs. They are the professional body for a wide range of sport science and sports medicine disciplines.
- ESSA — Exercise & Sports Science Australia is a professional organization committed to establishing, promoting and defending the career paths of tertiary trained exercise and sports scientists. They provide accreditation for Australian sports scientists, particularly for Exercise Physiologists.
- SMA — Sports Medicine Australia is Australia’s peak national body for the range of sports medicine and sports science disciplines.
- BASES — This is the British Association of Sports and Exercise Sciences, which is concerned with setting, maintaining and enhancing the professional and ethical standards of its members who are actively involved in sport and exercise science. They provide accreditation for individuals as well as Sport Science Laboratories.
If you have information about another association that you think should be here, please let me know.
- A fitness body is International Sport Science Association ISSA. (from Keeon Taylor, July 2012)