Coaching soccer is a complex task - it requires a lot of specific skills and knowledge. You need an understanding of soccer specific skills as well as the ability to manage a team and develop teamwork. You need to have an understanding of nutrition and sport science, physiology, psychology and biomechanics. Some gain this through years of coaching and experience, while you can fast track your knowledge with plenty of research and reading.
Resources for the soccer coach.
- Why Coach Soccer? An article about the joys of soccer coaching.
- Soccer technique: How to Bend it Like Beckham, advice on how to make a ball curve.
- Training for soccer: Speed Training for Soccer players
- Skill Testing — some tests to use for testing football skills.
- Fitness Testing for soccer players - a recommended battery of fitness tests for soccer.
- Soccer Fitness — guide to understanding the demands of soccer and the fitness training necessary.