"The rules of soccer are very simple, basically it is this: if it moves, kick it. If it doesn't move, kick it until it does." quote by Phil Woosnam
Football is not quite as basic as that. Here are some simplified rules for the sport of football, also known as soccer in many parts of the world, which is undoubtedly the world's most popular sport.
Summary of the Game
Football (also known as soccer) is played in all corners of the world and its popularity is demonstrated by the biggest single sport event held every four years, The World Cup. The sport is played with a round ball (traditionally with black and white checks), which is only kicked by the feet. This excludes the goal keeper, who can use hands only in the goal area. A goal is scored when an attacking player kicks the ball into the opposition net. Games are usually low scoring. There are 11 players on the field, with some substitutions coming late in the game. If a player is substituted off they can not come back onto the field. The game consists of 45 minute halves, with a half time break.
A List of Rules
- A football match is played by two teams, with each allowed no more than 11 players on the field at any one time, one of whom is a goalkeeper.
- A match is played in two 45 minute halves.
- The game begins with the toss of a coin, and the winning captain decides which goal to defend or to take the first kick off.
- All players must use their feet head or chest to play the ball. Only the goalkeeper is allowed to use their hands, and only within their designated goal area.
- The aim of the game is to score a goal, which is achieved by kicking or heading the ball into the opposition team's goal.
- If the ball completely crosses the side line, it is thrown back in by the team that was not the last to touch the ball.
- The game is controlled by a central referee, and two linesmen. They award free kicks and penalties when rules are broken. For continual breaking of rules or for a bad foul, the player may shown a red card and be sent off.
- Article: Basics of Soccer — more on the rules and how the game is played.
- A Ball, Some Friends, and a Soccer Goal — an article about all you need for a game.
- Coaching Soccer
- What is Futsal? a variation of soccer
- Football Field Dimensions
- See also soccer terms
- The Rules of Sports